There’s no denying it: Mom jeans are back and have been for a while! If you haven’t hopped on board with this revived fashion trend, here’s everything you need to know to feel like a total babe while wearing high-waisted denim … even if you look like your mom, circa 1995.
What to Wear with Mom Jeans?
One of the first questions people ask our stylists is ‘What do I wear with mom jeans?’ The answer is surprisingly simple … anything you want! Once you find the perfect pair of denim that hugs you in all the right places, the sky is the limit.
Read on for some inspiration on how to put together awesome outfits that incorporate this hot trend.
How to Style Mom Jeans
Whether you’re a “jeans and tees” kind of girl or you like to go all out when getting dressed, mom jeans should be a staple in your wardrobe right now. Even though this retro denim has gotten a bad rep for the past 20+ years, it’s actually incredibly flattering and super versatile.
While mom jeans traditionally hit the belly button and feature a tapered leg, there are many modern variations of this style to choose from. From high-rise boyfriend to distressed denim with cropped ankles, mom jeans now take on many forms and should each be styled in their own way!
Here are some tips on styling mom jeans:
- Traditional Mom Jeans: Let’s begin with the mom jeans we all know … the high-waisted denim that covers the belly button, is straight through the thigh and tapers in at the ankle. These jeans are some of the most popular right now because they look good on most body types and make your butt look like you’ve been doing all the squats. Pair these jeans with tucked blouses, knotted t-shirts, and half-tucked sweaters. No matter how you style, be sure to accentuate your waist!
- Distressed Boyfriend Mom Jeans: These are a more modern take on the typical mom jean. Distressed mom jeans tend to come in a slightly lower rise, making them ideal for anyone who prefers a slouchy look. These jeans look stellar with baggy tees or kimonos during the day or with heeled boots and a sexy crop top at night.
- Cropped Mom Jeans: One of our favorite reiterations of the mom jean trend is cropped mom jeans. This style embraces the high-rise waist of the traditional mom jean, but with a shorter hemline. Make distressed mid-range ankle jeans work in your wardrobe year-round by choosing the proper footwear. In the summer, opt for open-toed mules or sandals. In the winter, style with ankle boots.
How to Wear Mom Jeans
If you’re wondering if you can ‘pull off’ mom jeans, the answer is YES. The key to owning this trend is by understanding your personal style and naturally integrating high-waisted denim into your current wardrobe.
Here are some ways that mom jeans might work with your style:
- Athletic: If you like to keep it casual and comfortable, you’re guaranteed to get many wears out of destroyed high-rise mom jeans. The torn knees in this style keep the rise from appearing too old-fashioned and they look awesome with t-shirts and cropped tanks.
- Boho: Embrace your inner goddess in a pair of denim that will go perfectly with your lacy bralettes and flowy kimonos. Whether you wear mom jeans that are high-waisted and tapered or slouchy and distressed, you’ll have plenty of options for styling. Just remember: No boho outfit is complete without a felt hat and bangles!
- Preppy: Elevate your style with a pair of polished mom jeans. By choosing dark denim with a high waist and clean lines, you’ll have new ways to style your favorite blouses and cardigans. Accentuate your waist with a belt to really finish off the look.
- Edgy: They might be called ‘mom jeans’ but that doesn’t mean you have to look like your mother. Make this trend work for you by pairing black high-waisted jeans with a cut-off concert tee and converse.
No matter how you define your personal style, a good pair of mom jeans are sure to fit right into your wardrobe and make getting dressed in the morning way more inspiring. Find the perfect pair of denim to match your personality and embrace this trend while it lasts!