If you’re hard-pressed to get to the salon every two weeks to get your nails done and cough up the money to do so, press-on nails can be the ideal solution. They are an at-home manicure you can do in front of the T.V. or with your besties.
You can pick up a set of press-on nails at FOREVER 21. Browse our selection featuring classic French tips, floral prints, faux gem tipped, rhinestone, and more. You will need a nail file, nail clippers, and some adhesive glue to complete your manicure. You can get these items from most makeup stores or pharmacies.
How to Apply Press-On Nails
DIY nails are affordable, trendy, and easy to wear. Not to mention, once you’ve nailed the execution, they can look just as good as a trip the nail salon but at a quarter of the price. Change your nails as frequently as you change your ‘fits.
The general rule of thumb is that the healthier your nails are, the longer the press-on nails will last.
Here are a few steps for how to apply press-on nails:
- Find your match: Open your nail set and find the perfect match size to use for each cuticle. Line them up in front of you so you can clearly see which false nail you will apply to each of your nails.
- Buff your nails: There may not be a perfect match for each finger. In this case, you will need to buff them down to size. You can also buff them down to the desired length if they are too long.
- Wash and dry your fingernails: Take off any residual polish and use a metal pusher to push back your cuticles. Clip any overhangs with a nail clipper.
- Buff your nail: By lightly buffing your nail, you are creating more friction between your nail and the false nail. This can help them stick on and last longer.
- Apply the nail glue and nail: Start with the pinky finger and work your way up to the thumb for convenience. Apply the glue evenly to your natural nail and then to the false nail. Press the nail down firmly on top of your nail and hold it there under pressure for 30 seconds to a minute.
Press-On Nail Tips: How to Keep Press-On Nails from Popping Off
So, you’ve nailed the application part and you’re wanting to extend your manicure for as long as possible (no one wants a rogue fingernail floating around on their office desk or popping off at dinner on a date). Here are a few nail tips to consider:
- Avoid making contact with any water for at least two hours after your manicure.
- Invest in a quality strong glue and don’t be frugal about how much you use.
- Before applying your nails, run a little rubbing alcohol over your nails to remove any natural oils on your nails. Drying them out as much as possible can help the glue stick better.
- Apply a top coat to your press-on nails. This will not only make them shine but also harden them which will make them more durable.
- Choose short press-on nails over longer ones. They will be less likely to fall off.
- Avoid chlorine. This can weaken the bond between your falsies and your nails.
- Avoid rigorous sports or activities that could cause them to tear off.
- When cleaning with chemicals, wear gloves.
How to Remove Press-On Nails
Need a change? Whatever you do, don’t pull your false nails off as this can cause serious damage to your fingernails, and it’s painful. Here are a few methods for taking off your press-on nails:
- Warm water: Soak your hands in warm soapy water for about 20 minutes. You can use a little detergent or even hand soap. This should loosen the false nails enough to get them off.
- Acetone: Place your hands in warm water and let them soak for a few minutes. Then, place them in a small bowl of acetone. The acetone should cause them to pop off or become loose enough that you can remove them easily. Make sure you moisturize your hands afterward as acetone can dry out your skin.
- Cuticle Oil: With a pair of tweezers, lift the back of your false nail up and slip a bit of cuticle oil in. The oil will help loosen the nail so it comes off. You may need to massage your fingernails gently to help loosen the false nail.
Can You Reuse Press-On Nails?
You sure can! Keep the used ones separate from the others in your nail kit. Before reapplying them, you will want to remove as much of the glue as possible. You can do this acetone, and by lightly buffing them off. Get cute cuticles without breaking the budget. Check out our full selection of nails available in our beauty section at FOREVER 21. Draw some extra attention to your hands by accessorizing with our chic rings as well!