Have you spent the last year cosplaying your cottagecore fantasy in front of your bedroom mirror? OK, good — we’re not alone. Part fairy tale, part nostalgia, the cottagecore movement has been gaining momentum for a couple of years now, but last year’s lockdowns really brought the aesthetic into our homes and phones via TikTok, Instagram and Tumblr. Click on the cottagecore hashtag and you’ll open a never-ending digital moodboard filled with unapologetic sweetness. Floral prints! Lace trims! Ruffles! Windblown hair and rosy cheeks!
What is Cottagecore?
As the name suggests, cottagecore is all about that rustic laidback life, where you live in a cottage far away from the noise and stress of big city life. You bake, you knit, you pick flowers from your garden, and you do it all while wearing a gingham apron atop your favorite maxi dress… and while most of us don’t live in a cottage or near a meadow filled with wildflowers, we can dress the part.
The Best Cottagecore Outfits of the Season
Need some help pulling off the look? Here are the essentials:
- Peasant tops – this is the essential piece to own if you really want to nail the cottagecore aesthetic, because it can instantly make all of your other clothes look softer and more romantic. Pair your peasant top with some denim shorts or a pair of jeans like these Plus Size High-Rise Flare Jeans for a more modern cottage moment.
- Floral prints – at the heart of cottagecore aesthetic are romantic floral prints. Ofc you can wear a floral skirt or a cute floral blouse, but when you put a cute floral print on a long flowy dress, you truly capture the look of a magical day out in the meadows.
- Loose flowing dresses – nothing says summer more than a flowing dress. We love this Off-The-Shoulder Maxi Dress in blue, yellow or white. It’s both comfy and breezy!
- Overalls – one of the most classic and easy cottagecore outfits to pull off is the is the practical yet totally cute combination of overalls and a comfy pullover. Nothing says “I need to go milk the cows after I walk through this field of wildflowers” more than this totally easy look. Explore our collection of Overall Dresses for some serious inspo. FOREVER 21 also carries a variety of Plus Size Rompers and Jumpsuits that scream, “take me on a roadtrip to the country!” Style your overall dress or romper over a peasant blouse to complete the look.
- Crochet – head to your romantic hillside picnic in anything crochet. We are loving this Crochet Lace Up Crop Top in pistachio, cream, and brown. Pair this DIY aesthetic with some denim shorts or a cute floral miniskirt for the ultimate let’s-learn-how-to-make-strawberry-jam look.
Your Cottagecore Wardrobe Needs Floral
Floral anything is definitely on brand for the cottagecore look. FOREVER 21 carries a wide selection of floral in tops, skirts, bodysuits, cami dresses and more. Check out this Floral Print Flounce Mini Dress for your next countryside adventure. Pair it with some strappy sandals and a cropped denim jacket to complete the look.
Let your dress do the flirting for you in The Plus Size Tiered Ruffle-Trim Dress. Imagine frolicking through the fields with a wide brimmed sunhat and gorgeous straw handbag. So cute!
We adore matching sets and this Floral Print Crop Top & Skirt Set is the sweetest addition to your summer wardrobe of sunset picnics in fields.
We’ve rated this one as the perfect apple-picking number – The Plus Size Ditzy Floral Skort. It looks great with a plain tank and cropped denim jacket. Dress it up with a puff sleeve blouse for a more dramatic look.
Accessorize Your Cottagecore Outfit
Hats, hats, hats! Complete your cottagecore look with a wide-brimmed fedora or panama hat. We love this Felt Bow-Trim Panama Hat in several colors that pairs amazing with maxi dresses for an ultra-feminine look and that picturesque cottagecore aesthetic.
Bows and brims are great choices to complement your cottagecore look which is why we are loving this chic Faux Straw Bow Ribbon Boater Hat. You can pair it with overalls, a flowing dress or breezy peasant style blouse for summer in the countryside. Shop our collection of hats to find more inspo for cottagecore look.
Don’t forget your bag! We are loving anything with crochet fringing, faux straw or basketwoven. Explore FOREVER 21’s collection of bags and backpacks to suit your style today. Whether you’re going for a full Bridgerton look or more subdued countryside glamour, FOREVER 21 has all the essentials you need to rock the cottagecore look this season. Explore our collection today.